Friday, April 03, 2009

Made for playing

I whipped up another pair of Candy Pants from Ottobre 1/2008 for Romily. As you can see from the action shots, they're also good for scootering!I also had a go at my very first raglan sleeves - from another Ottobre 1/2008 pattern (#16 Polka Dot Blouse). I've been a bit hesitant to try them, because I didn't know how they worked. Duh! They are so easy! Much easier than setting in cap sleeves, for example! Well, it would have been easier, if I hadn't made a stupid beginner's mistake - I sewed up the front and back panels as sleeves and then wondered why the body looked so narrow and the sleeves so full! I soon realised what I'd done and unsewed the wrong seams (including the finished edges...) and resewed the panels - correctly this time.
I used some giant floral cotton fabric I had in my dressmaking stash and voila. Another great play top for Rom. She likes it a lot - especially when people compliment her on her lovely top!! I was pleased as punch when she said to the Donut King lady: "My mummy made it for me"!
But, that's it for sewing at the moment. Must get this essay done. It's due Monday, but we've all managed to come down with our second cold in as many weeks, so I've asked for and received a two-day extension. I'm feeling lousy, and so are the kids, so I hope it passes soon. I'm really enjoying this course and want to put in my best effort. I hope to get really stuck into it tomorrow. Once it's done I'll reward myself with a spot of sewing before we head south to Victoria for Easter.

****************

And a big PHEW! Julia, for whom I made the 'Winter Blues' table runner as part of the Four Seasons Monochromatic Challenge Swap, received and loved it! I'm doing my little happy dance, as we've both had our faith in quilting swaps restored :)

7 comments:

Joyce said...

Very cute outfits. I have done the same thing with raglan sleeves. I guess everyone does the first time. Who knew sleeves are almost as big as the body of a garment?

Helen said...

Love Rom's new top Lily!!!! Sleeves scare me.....

Sandy's Quilter's Block said...

Hope you all feel better soon! Romily looks wonderful in the togs you've sewn for her. Nice pictures, too. I love the big floral top, looks great on her.

dutchcomfort said...

Romily’s top (and the little girl herself) are very sweet!!

Sleeves have always scared me, when sewing dresses and knitting sweaters...always.
Raglan sleeves though always fit!

Laura said...

The kids are growing so fast! And what lovely clothes you have been making Romily, she is such a doll!

Jan said...

Such charming outfits!! Of course, they are shown to best advantage on Romily. She is getting so big...and cute as a button!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

The pants and the blouse are so pretty. It helps to have a beautiful model.