Wednesday, April 09, 2008

I made something for me

My Year 8 sewing teacher would die laughing if she only knew...my mum is still laughing that I have actually made myself a dress. The last attempt was when I was about 18 years old. It worked out okay, but it stopped actually fitting oooh about 18 years ago! I was the most terrible sewing student at school (managed to break more than my fair share of machines) so my mother thinks it's a delicious irony that I'm 'sew into it' now :)

So, I bit the bullet, so to speak, and bought a pattern from Spotlight I'd walked past about 1000 times (reduced to $2 so I thought I couldn't go wrong) and grabbed 2 metres of semi-stretchy 'ocelot' fabric and went for it.

The pattern was surprisingly easy to understand and cut the fabric. The construction was also surprisingly easy, so from go (Sunday night) to whoa (last night) it took only a couple of hours. I finished it at 10pm last night and wore it work.

Here are a couple of touched up photos from my learner photographer husband :) (Thanks Carl for bearing with my instructions.)

Front on (I don't look so pregnant do I?)
And side on (NOW I look quite pregnant!)
I'm very happy with how the dress turned out. The hem's a little dodgy, but I know that would get better with practice. If I make it again I'll try to find some stretchier fabric, although I don't want to sacrifice weight - the fabric I chose is quite thick, which a) is much more forgiving to a lumpy, bumpy figure and b) is warmer!

Too tired tonight for spring Four Seasons quilting. BUT I promised myself I'd get the borders on tomorrow night. Hope to have some progress photos by the weekend.

15 comments:

Doodlebug Gail said...

Wow! You look fantastic in that dress - well done. Will it last for the duration of your pregnancy?

Unknown said...

Looks terrific Lily - and so do you, positively blooming

Willeke de la Chambre said...

You did a very good job! The dress is fine!!!and looks good on you!
Bye from a Dutch quilter,

AJ said...

Great work Lily...love the baby bump!!

Cathy said...

Gorgeous dress - gorgeous girl.

Well done for giving it a go.

Lucy said...

Oh Lily what a besautiful dress and you look so pretty in it. You're very beautifull pregnant!

Louise said...

Wow, it looks fantastic! Did you do it on a regular sewing machine? You're very clever, I'm too scared to sew knit fabric :)

thehummingcat said...

You look absolutely stunning Lily. Romily takes after her mummy!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Dress and Mum look fabulous...but I think I look more pregnant!!lol!! Tracey

Corrie said...

oh wow you look great! I just bum around in jeans and denim skirts but that looks very smart...well done

If you look up knitwit online they do some fabulous stretch fabrics each season and last forever!!!

Corrie:)

Helen said...

Your year 8 teacher would be very proud Lily! You look one Yummy Mummy!

Anonymous said...

You look wonderful! what a great dress, very stylish. Well done. I love your hair btw :) I am wanting to try something new and trendy, you look like one hip mumma to be.

Sandy's Quilter's Block said...

You look gorgeous! Well done!

Gabrielle said...

Wow, what a beautiful dress, you look stunning. I love the idea of sewing with stretch fabrics, but always thought it might be too tricky - you make it seem very easy though!

dutchcomfort said...

You look so beautiful and your dress is gorgeous!