Monday, May 08, 2006

Who you callin a dummy?

Sorry! For those of you in the US, in Australia we call a pacifier a dummy. Don't ask me why! Perhaps the name is derived from the fact that the babies often go 'dumb' when it's in :)

Not this bubba - she still manages to talk and squeal around it.

Here's a photo - she was around 3 months old here and was still being wrapped for sleep. Hmm, maybe I should try that now since she's entered a phase where she just won't go down to sleep without a real fight...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lily,
She is beautiful...I'll give the new word for the pacifier a try with one of my dearest friends in Tas she won't believe it when I use it...Her little one is due next month, her first...
Thanks for sharing...Tina

Judy said...

Ah!! It's so fun to hear different things called strange names. It's fun to be in contact with people on the other side of the world!! I do recognize the pink thing! Loads of my neices and nephews have called them "pacies". I think they all had them!

YES!! I have a great LQS! They have huge cubbies that contain over ??500 little sq. 1/2 yard packets. They cut them when the bolts get low and so each month they pull out the older ones and when they send out email newsletters they ask a question.This month was name your fav flower. Each time you go in and buy something, you can tell them the answer and pick a 1/2 yard bundle for free! Sometimes it's thread, but mostly it's fabric. I get all sorts of fun colors and everything is usable in scrap quilts!

Sharon said...

Actually dummy means dummy to breast for pacify a crying baby.Why do babies cry often? for milk !!!