Monday, April 03, 2006

Thrifty score

Bubba and I took a walk on Saturday morning to get some newspapers and bacon for our fry-up special breakfast (well my breakfast, not hers!). I forgot to take my hat. This was not a major catastrophe, as my bed hair wasn't as outrageous as it usually is and I never see anyone I know.

Well, we didn't see anyone I know, but we did see lots and lots of people! The Anglican retirement village nearby had its famous annual 'garage sale' on. We had to go! Despite my freaky Friday appearance we went in and I found that it didn't matter a bit, as all eyes were on the cute baby in my arms! A bunch of old dears + gorgeous baby = invisible mother!!!

We had a poke around and decided old people's clothing didn't really offer much in the way of fabric scouting potential (all greys, fawns and gaberdine!), so we headed for the very impressive book piles. Old people must receive a lot of books! There was even a largish children's books section, so I sorted through that and found some absolute classics. Green Eggs and Ham, Spot, bears and an old Enid Blyton favourite of mine. Four books for $2!! (And that's $2 Australian!)

I also found two cooking for toddlers recipe books for only $2 each. So we got six books for $6. Now that's my kind of shopping!

And our breakfast of scrambled eggs, fat-free bacon, tomatoes and field mushrooms was just yummy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice way to spend the morning.

Tiffany said...

That sounds like a great morning!
I love any day that I don't have to worry about bed head. Then to top it off with a big garage sale (I love a good bargin) and a tasty breakfast sounds like the perfect equation for an excellent start of the day!

Finn said...

Sounds like a lovely outing for both of you..*VBS* And a bonus, finding such wonderful books at a great price!! WHo cares about hair??